You know the Saturday Night Live skit: Weekend Update. And I’m not usually awake when my favorite part of SNL comes on (die, Eastern Time Zone), so I watch it online on Monday or Tuesday or something.
Welcome to my own Weekend Update, the Things I Learned edition.
1. Baguettes absolutely can be made in the oven. In your oven, as a matter of fact! They look impressive and taste even better than impressive. Probably should have taken a picture. It involves making your oven into a sauna.
2. Clam juice — and canned clams — are found in the canned vegetable aisle. And they’re next to tuna, which is also decidedly not a vegetable.
3. And now that you know where to find them, you can make this delicious clam chowder. I recommend an extra slice of bacon and a little less half-and-half than called for. It’s decadent and comforting at the same time.
4. When community rallies in the face of tragedy, that’s real love and real grace. Witnessing the outpouring is redemption in real life.
5. I find myself crying more often than I used to when dear friends face tough struggles. And I’m not going to brush it off as just being a weepy girl. If my heart breaks when the hearts of others break, that’s community. It’s not weak; it’s strong.